Monday, September 13, 2010

Crock Pot Mondays: Fake Fancy

I've always felt that if you give food a special name, it makes it seem way more fancy than it actually might be.  Maybe I'm just gullible?  It's entirely possible, although not exactly a flattering possibility.  But when my friend Rachel announced on facebook that she had a Steak Italiana going in her crock pot, I got all excited-- steak and Italiana?  Fanciness!  Turns out, it's astonishingly simple.  Also, according to her facebook announcement later that day, very yummy!  So, today's crock pot meal will be Steak Italiana and I bet you're dancing in anticipation for this recipe.  (Or is that just me?)

I'm not sure where she got the recipe (yeah, I could always ask, but I'm already typing this...), so I will name it:

Rachel's Steak Italiana

1 1/2 lbs round steak**
1 jar (about 15 oz) chunky garden spaghetti sauce (or your favorite variety)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1-2 c. whole small onions (frozen, thawed or canned, drained)

Cut the steak into 5-6 serving-sized slices.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano and place in the crock pot.  Cover with the spaghetti sauce.  Cook on low 7-8 hours, then turn to high, add the onions, and cook 30 minutes longer.  Serve over pasta.

**I will be making mine with a couple of "beef chuck underblade" steaks, as these were BOGO (and a great price on top of that; I think I'll get some more before they go off sale!) at Winn-Dixie this week.  Also, I will be skipping the onion step since it will be nearly 7:00 when I get home and I don't want to wait another 30 minutes for supper!  Plus, the hubby is not a big fan of onions anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment