Monday, September 27, 2010

Crock Pot Mondays: Tortilla Soup

Since last week's Crock Pot Monday turned out to be a total bomb (you know, since I didn't actually use my crock pot at all last week), I've decided that even though I'm not pulling out the crock pot until Wednesday (we've got leftover pizza in the fridge for tonight-- a meal that makes everyone happy) I will go ahead and give you the recipe today.  This week's crock pot meal will be Tortilla Soup.  The recipe I have is for a quick stove-top soup, so I'll be making just a couple of modifications.  (And thanks to my friend Jenny for the recipe!)

Tortilla Soup:

1 onion
1 chipotle in adobo (buy a small can, use one pepper and freeze the rest in a ziploc bag. When you want to use it again, just cut off the amount you need-- it thaws very quickly. It also lasts about forever.)
2+ quarts of chicken or vegetable broth
1 can (or 2 c frozen) corn
2 cans (or 3 c bulk) black beans
juice of 2 limes
chopped tomatoes
cilantro
cheese (I'll be using a pepper-jack/cheddar blend)
tortilla chips

Sautee the onion and chipotle and add to the broth, along with the corn, black beans, the juice of two limes, and salt. Cook until everything is warm. When serving, add the tomatoes and cilantro, then add tortilla chips and cheese to each bowl.

Modifications I'm making:
1.) Obviously, I'm putting it in a crock pot, and since this is a meatless dish, I'll make it later in the day and let it cook on low for 3-4 hours.

Tune in on Thursday to find out how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment