Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I Lied

I honestly did plan to make the tortilla soup in Monday's crock pot post, but I was unaware that I was missing a few key ingredients.  Like beans.  Of any sort.  (I usually have several cans on hand!)  So instead, we are having throw-a-bunch-of-stuff-in-the-crock-pot-and-cross-my-fingers served over whole wheat pasta tonight.  My to-do list today is incredibly long, and even now-- almost 4:00-- I've barely scratched the surface.  The kids are going to church with my mom this evening so I'll have a little kid-free time to get all caught up.  (I'm skipping school tonight.  Things have really been piling up and needed and extra day to work on it!)

Today's "recipe" (if you can call it that:)

4-5 chicken tenders (probably equivalent to 2-3 small chicken breasts)
1 bag frozen veggies
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup chicken broth (I think... I used what was left in the box I had in the fridge, so that's an estimate)
1 tbsp herbes de provence (spice blend that includes thmye, basil, lavender, and fennel seeds)
salt and pepper

Put everything in the crock pot.  Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours. (If cooking all day, I recommend adding the veggies shortly before serving so they're not overcooked.)

EDITS:
Watch the veggies! They go from crisp and verdant to mushy and that overcooked color extremely fast! In fact, if you have the time, you may just want to throw the veggies in there when you're ready to serve and let them just heat through.
Also, I recommend going for just a tsp of the herbes de provence. Mine came out tasting almost floral, I didn't realize the lavender would have such a strong flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment