Monday, December 13, 2010

The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

There are a lot of things I love about this time of year.

(For the record, the weather isn't one of them, unless we're having one of those great, glorious winters where the daytime temperatures are kind enough to hover around 60 degrees.  Today's high?  44.  Current temperature?  33.  With a wind-chill of 25.  Not my kind of weather, at all.)

Things like:
--Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song 
--Christmas Cards, both the giving and receiving.
--Christmas Cookies!  And, quite honestly, the decorating is often more fun than the eating!
--The fact that it's ok to listen to Christmas music.  People tend to look at me funny when I do that in July.
--That we all get together at my parents' house on Christmas Eve for pizza and present opening, carrying on a family tradition that began when I was around two or three years old.

But my very, very favorite part of the whole Christmas season has always been decorating the Christmas tree.  I still have ornaments I've had since my very first Christmas.  And every year, unpacking them feels like opening the door to an old friend.  Every year, things are a little bit different-- the food, the place, or the people we're with-- it's nice to know that there are some things that will never change.

This year's Christmas Tree

One of my favorites, made by my Grampa.

Star ornament, given to Hubby and me the year we were married.

 (And now I have justification for adding Christmas tree/ornament pictures.)

No comments:

Post a Comment