Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Pimpin' It (Maybe)

The other day, on Facebook, some friends and I were discussing my current inability to get a job.  (I was going to say "to find a job," but that's not true.  I've found tons.  I just haven't gotten one. [I totally just googled "is gotten a word?" It is.])  Despite the number of applications I've filled out and resumes I've submitted, I still don't have a job.  Apparently, I just don't look good on paper.  Which is sort of a disappointing thought, that someone looked at a little summary of my work-life and said, "Nope."  I like to think I'm good at handling rejection... but everyone's got their limit, right?  So I mentioned on Facebook that the job-hunting was starting to get a little bit depressing, and lots of friends have chimed in with suggestions.  One friend is considering starting her own little craft business, selling decorative items.  At some point, I may or may not have used the phrase "pimp out my crafting skills" when mulling potential money-making ideas.  I also may or may not have said that I should try "pimping out my writing/editing skills."  (At least I didn't spell it "skillz." I do have some dignity.)  I am considering the idea more and more seriously.

I think I just might get into freelancing.  Maybe.  I mean, I'd probably have to have another job too, because as far as I know, no one's ever gotten (there's that word, again... why does it suddenly look so weird to me?) rich freelancing.  But it would be nice to be doing what I like, even if it is just on the side.

So, welcome to the experimental phase!  I'm going to start by asking you for a favor.  If you're reading this now, PLEASE leave me a comment.  Tell me what you think of my little corner of the internet.  You can even do it anonymously if you don't want me to know who you are.  Leave me suggestions-- is there anything you'd like to see on my blog?  I know I sort of dropped the ball on the whole Crock Pot thing, but I like to think there were extenuating circumstances (like dropping down to only one night a week of classes and no longer needed to use my slow-cooker quite often enough to remind myself to post about it).  Is there something you think I should be writing about?  Let me know!  Together, we can make this blog a million different kinds of awesome.  At least.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are a wonderful writer. I enjoy reading what you write. I think you give it a real personality, not like English report writing. I think you would be great at freelancing. I've seen websites; cooking, traveling, political, ect. asking for writers. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your blog, you are quite witty. I really couldn't think of anything else you'd want to put. I like picture posts, but for freelance writing, that's not necessary! So, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete