Thursday, June 30, 2011

Kinda Phoning It In Today -OR- My Kids Are Hilarious

I was going to start a new feature here yesterday, but I ended up being pretty busy most of the day. So I'll start it next Wednesday. Today I'm just kinda phoning it in, recycling facebook posts as blog material. Partly because I'm trying to remind myself constantly to keep updating over here, but also partly because my kids are awesome, and I'd like to share some of their awesomeness with you today. (And for those of you who have already seen these because you're my facebook friend: Sorry. But I promise I'll have something new up soon!)

*While taking turns jumping into the pool:
Ben: One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, Three Mississippi, JUMP!
Olette: One Mississippi, Two Minnesota, Three Coca-Cola, JUMP!

*Olette is avoiding picking up the toys in her room:
Me: You need to go finish cleaning your room.
Olette: I've decided you can just take away some of my toys again.
Me: Well, if I take them away again, you're not getting them back. I'll throw them out or give them away.
Olette: **astounded silence** (It didn't take her long to get everything picked up!)

*About to jump in the pool with no floaties for the first time:
Olette: Big-girl city, here I come!

*Adding a laugh to a near-daily exchange:
Me: Time to turn off the Xbox.
Ben: I don't want to!
Me: Tough.
Ben: Fine!
Me: Excuse me? Ahem, excuse me? Excuse me, Benjamin?
Olette: (in a fake deep voice) Yes, Ma'am!

*About dinner:
Ben: What's for dinner?
Me: Chicken.
Ben: What kind?
Me: Baked.
Ben: What parts?
Me: Not that it matters, but thighs.
Ben: Oh. Thighs are ok. Breasts are my favorite, though. I like breasts. Breasts are the best. They're big. That's why they're my favorite. I just love breasts...
(You should have seen his face once I explained to him why I was trying so hard not to laugh...)

*Overheard while they were playing in Ben's room:
Olette: mumble, mumble, mumble... (the door was closed, I didn't catch what she said)
Ben: Olette, no! We agreed, we're going with MY story line!
(I cracked up-- he sounded just like I used to when I would play with my younger sister!)

*It's not a full or legal name anymore:
Olette: Mommy, what's your in-trouble name?
Me: Huh?
Olette: You know, like Jocelyn Olette is my in-trouble name? What's your in-trouble name?

*And for my finale, What it's like to be sick when you're the mom:
Ben: Mom, you said you would make some kool-aid this morning and you never did!
Me: Ben, I broke into a sweat just vacuuming the living room. I'm sick. I'm not on top of things right now. Think you could cut me just a little slack today?
Ben: But I cut you some slack this morning! I made sister's breakfast, remember?

1 comment: