Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Eight

This time eight years ago, I was a confident-- albeit completely clueless-- new mom. This time right now, eight years later, I'm still just as confident and every bit as clueless. Turns out, the mom thing is nothing like riding a bike or learning to play a musical instrument. No amount of practice will ever render your performance flawless. Most of us are just making it up as we go along.

But nine days ago, on the 31st of July, my baby boy made it to his eighth birthday in one piece. Eight years ago today, I was a sleep-deprived zombie facsimile of a human being, praying that my baby would deign to sleep an hour-- just one hour, please, so I can nap a little maybe?-- after he ate. It would be the longest stretch of sleep I'd gotten in the past week. Some babies are perpetually content, only crying when they're hungry or in need of a new diaper, or maybe need a nap. Ben wasn't one of them. Ben cried when he was hungry, in need of a new diaper, or maybe in need of a nap. He also cried when he wasn't hungry, in need of a diaper, or in need of a nap. He cried when I put him down. He cried when I picked him up. He cried when he was hungry. He cried after he finished eating. He cried when he was tired, then he cried to let me know his nap was done. His first two weeks of life went by in a haze of tears and exhaustion-- from both of us! But eventually, we got the hang of each other. (And several trips to the pediatrician later, we got his tummy issues under control, and we were all-- Mommy, Daddy, and Baby-- much happier people!) And now? It's impossible to picture a Ben-less world. It hasn't been easy. Ever. But it has definitely been worth it.

And as much as I wish I could keep him little forever and ever, I'm looking forward to celebrating so many more birthdays!

A Year in the Life of Ben*





Watch, as the young Jedi strikes fear into the black, empty hearts of Sith across the galaxy!
It looks like he's entertaining deep thoughts, here. Really, he's just hoping Mom will hurry up with the Christmas Card photo shoot so he can get back to having fun!

...a boy and his dog...



All he wanted
for Christmas
was his two
front teeth!




...what happens when he dresses himself...

I bet you can't guess his favorite movies!








He saved all his birthday, report card, tooth fairy, and Christmas money to buy himself a new bike!







"Hurry up and take the picture, Mom! I can't just flex my muscles like this all night!"




This was his first year of coach-pitch baseball.
Determining whether to jump over or dive under the waves was his favorite beach game this year.






And getting out on the boat and tubing is one of his new favorite summer pastimes!













*These pictures are mine and belong to me, and are not meant to be used by anyone other than me, for any purpose whatsoever.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment