Monday, December 19, 2011

How Not To Make A Christmas Ornament

I'm not really the crafty type. I'd like to be, but often I fall short. I can scrapbook like nobody's business, but other than that, most of my crafts come out looking like something my kids could have done. (In fact they probably could have done it better.) Still, my Christmas ornament idea seemed foolproof. I'm pretty sure I've figured out where I could improve it, but after all the time I spent on trial-and-error, I really didn't have a lot of time left to make the final product. Maybe next year? Still, when I started the project, I had high hopes and thought, "I can put the how-to on my blog!" So I took lots of pictures as I went along. And since I'm not the wasteful type, I'm sharing them anyway. It didn't work out for me, but that doesn't mean it won't work for anyone!
First, gather all your supplies. I had glue, glitter, sequins, cookie cutters (to trace, you can use stencils, instead), and ribbon (in hopes that I would need something with which to hang the ornaments).

Trace your cookie cutter. I used foil. If I do it again, I'll use wax paper, or, if I can find it, something even more slick than that.

Fill in the shape with glue. Cover with glitter.

Be amazed, as the star magically transforms into a Christmas tree! Just kidding... I made a Christmas tree, too.

This is where it all broke down. The star wouldn't come apart from the foil once it was dried. Maybe the glue wasn't thick enough? Maybe the foil wasn't slick enough? The Christmas tree came apart from its foil, but in unusable pieces.
Maybe you'll have better luck with yours!

1 comment:

  1. Did you try different surfaces? Maybe was paper or cling wrap or even glass?

    ReplyDelete