Monday, November 1, 2010

Can I Sleep Yet?

I've been looking forward to the beginning of November as a time when I could finally rest.  October was go-go-go with barely a pause for breath.  I realize it's only the first day of the month, but I have to admit I was a little bit disappointed when I woke up feeling like I had just fallen asleep!  A brief recap of the month:

-Three weekends ago: DeLuna Fest on Pensacola Beach. It was loads and loads and loads of fun.  And I'm still on my "gotta listen to more Stone Temple Pilots" kick.  We were on the beach all day long and didn't get home until sometime after midnight.  I woke up the next morning feeling hungover, even though I'd had absolutely no alcohol.  (One word: Port-a-Potty.  Alcohol renders my bladder all but useless.  No way was I going to be running back and forth to port-a-potties all day long!  Ew!)  I realized then that either we need to get out more, or 27 is older than I thought.

-Two weekends ago:  Road trip!  We went to Clearwater, FL for my sister-in-law's wedding.  It was nice to see them, and to meet her husband's family (who, it turns out are some of the nicest people I've ever met).  It would have been nice to spend a little more time there and explore the area a little bit, but we knew we had a busy week ahead (Hubby's more than mine), so we left at 12am on Sunday.  We wanted to beat the traffic, get home in time to rest, and-- most importantly-- trade the constant stream of are-we-there-yets for the sound of soft snores.  In order to accomplish this, though, we ended up staying awake for just over 24 hours.  It was nice to get home by 8am, and we most definitely spent the whole day resting, but by the time Monday rolled around, I was still feeling a little bit under-rested.

-Yesterday: Halloween.  Remember how I thought it was going to be a cake-walk?  Ha!  (Although there was a cake-walk at the church fall festival...)  Olette had had a low-grade off-and-on fever for the past week, but it didn't seem to be bothering her.  Friday night, however, the fever decided that "off" was for chumps and put all of its efforts into being "on."  When I put her to bed Saturday night, her temperature was 103.  That was a long night.  But by Sunday afternoon, she was feeling great and it was decided that we were going to the fall festival/trunk-or-treat after all.  And then her temperature shot back up to 103.  Motrin and a cool washcloth had her feeling better after about half an hour, though, and we took advantage of the break by dressing up and hitting the fall festival.  Lots of candy was collected, O was hungry enough to polish off a little bag of potato chips, and she and her brother even played a few games.  We topped it off with a hay ride.  Towards the end of the hay ride, I could tell she was starting to warm up again, so we went straight home, much to the chagrin of her big brother.  Two pieces of candy apiece had Miss O bouncing off the walls, and Ben begging for more.  When they went to bed, Ben crashed immediately, and Olette played quietly until she finally fell asleep.  Her fever stayed low, and I caught myself thinking, "Hooray, maybe she's over it!"  No such luck.  She woke up this morning feeling just as miserable and feverish as she had been the past few days.  (We're waiting for the results of the strep test her pediatrician took this morning.)  She was up several times during the night, miserable and cranky.  Which means I was up several times during the night as well.  And now I'm tired and cranky, too.

Here's hoping there is some sweet sleep in my future.  Olette is sound asleep now, and I could really use a nap, as well.  Too bad I've just finished my third cup of coffee!!  On the bright side, this weekend there is a big, blank empty space on my calendar.  It's the most beautiful thing I've seen in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment