Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Tale of Two First Days of School

Me: Come here, sit down and tell me all about your first day of school!
Olette: Well, we heard a story and there was a puppet, and a girl cried. I guess she was scared of the puppet. And I played with Matthew a lot, and he actually talked to me, can you believe it?! (Matthew is Olette's very, very shy 3rd-or-4th cousin, who happens to be in her class.) And we had breakfast in the cafeteria, and it was pancakes, and it came with a little container of syrup and I dipped my pancakes in there. And then I forgot my lunchbox in my backpack, so I had to eat cafeteria lunch, but it was pizza and salad and it was good, except I didn't eat the salad. I don't like salad. But there was pears for dessert and they were yummmmmy! And at nap time, I laid my towel on my cot. You know another girl brought her blanket? But the rest of us had towels. And I fell asleep, and it was snack time when I woke up. And we had PE in the gym and it was fun, but it was funner when we played on the playground. There's a slide and a tunnel! And when we walk in the hallway, there's a rope. And we all hold on to the rope.
Me: Are you excited to go again tomorrow?
Olette: Yessy, yes, YES! Can I wear one of my blue skirts? And will you braid my hair?

...

Me: Come here, sit down and tell me all about third grade!
Ben: It's boring. We just sit there and do work. All day long. Can I go outside, now?

You can see the excitement in Ben's eyes. If you look really hard...

Eventually she'll grow into that backpack... and probably far too soon for my liking!



No comments:

Post a Comment