Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Crock Pot Mondays: Wednesday Edition

Monday's crock pot meal turned out great!  If you don't mind mushy rice, that is.  Actually, the rice wasn't so much mushy as almost completely dissolved.  It made for an interesting texture, that's for sure.  But the TASTE is what is important, and that's where the meal totally rocked!  And now I know to add the rice later on in the cooking process on days when it's going to sit on its own, and to not cook it as long on days when I'm around to keep an eye on it.  Also, I just cut each chicken breast in half when I made it.  I think from now on, I will dice it so that it's distributed throughout the dish.  I might even brown it in a skillet first on days when I have the time for that.  So, the following is the recipe I used.  Feel free to modify it as necessary.  I wasn't working from a cookbook, just going through my fridge and pantry to see what I had.

Crock Pot Chicken with Rice, Tomatoes, and Black Beans

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
1 sm-med onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup uncooked rice
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 can black beans
1/2 cup taco sauce
1 cup water
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
salt and pepper

Put the chicken in the bottom of the crock pot, sprinkle with salt & pepper.  Mix together the remaining ingredients* and pour over the chicken.  Cook on high 3-4 hours or on low 6-8 hours.

*If you're going to cook it more than a few hours, I would recommend adding the rice later on and cooking on low.

No comments:

Post a Comment